Unconditional Love!

It was snowy Christmas morning. All of New York was in festive mode. But he, was unusually uneasy. He didn't want to accept what he was going through, but it had been eating him out, the past couple of days.

It was a tradition he had followed, ever since he could remember, every Christmas he would wear a sweater knit by his mother.Honestly,he had never been fond of those sweaters, he had never worn them except on the day of Christmas. He thought they were hideous and the colours were too bright. He had complained and had asked her to stop knitting them, but she wouldn't listen.

She had sent him a sweater whichever part of the world he would be travelling. She event sent him one from the old age home, he had admitted her in, back in India. She usually attached a note along with it, which read,

MERRY CHRISTMAS SAM!
I LOVE YOU! 
-Mumma

This year, was going to be different, he was sure. It had been four months since she had passed away, in her sleep. He had a huge conference coming up the exact week and hence he couldn't even go down to India, for her funeral. He had sent the necessary amount of money, to the old age home and had asked them to do the needful. 

There was no point in going to India now, he hadn't been there in three years. He had never felt the need to go back either. He was surprised he had even been thinking so much about the sweater he disliked so much and that made him uneasy.

There was someone at the door. He was surprised to see a courier in his name. He quickly grabbed the packet, tore it open, to find the final sweater his mother had knit for him. There were tears flowing down his cheeks, while he read the note,

I am not sure, if I will make it through this Christmas. I have already knit a couple of sweaters for you. I have also asked my friends here, to send it to you, in case I am not around.
MERRY CHRISTMAS SAM!
I LOVE YOU, UNCONDITIONALLY!
-Mumma

Sam wept, unstoppably .

Comments

  1. Touched and highly moved.
    I visited an old age home a few months back and had interaction with the people there. It was heart wrecking when I heard their stories. Most their kids were either abroad happily settled, or in India printing notes. Hardly a few had landed up their because of their misfortune or poverty. Largely they were parents of grown up young minds who had settled and succeeded in their life. But at what cost.?
    Your post is really poignant. No matter which path we choose our parents never cease loving us, even when we fail to reciprocate the same...
    Loved Your Post..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't understand how the kids gather the nerve to leave their parents somewhere and not bother about them at all. They have to either be really cruel or really selfish.
      Thanks for connecting with my post, Monica :)

      Delete
  2. Omg..I have visited old age homes too. And I feel so deeply for them..such stories were told you know? So many of them were there cuz their kids were abroad..I cant imagine a life in an old age shelter..I mean your parents have done so much for you. .how can you abandon them towards the end of their lives when they probably need you the most?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! Only the most heartless people are capable of doing such things! :/
      I get depressed when I visit old age homes. :(

      Delete
  3. that's was quite heart-wrenching .. i guess even the unconditional love needs discipline at some point to teach its value and moral .. sam never understood those value !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! What you say makes a lot of sense! He actually had to be disciplined.

      Delete
  4. Touched! This was poignantly beautiful Pooja. Lovely piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Touching Story...!! I wonder why people don't think what if their children do the same with them?!

    Check out my similar post if you like:
    http://crazytruefacts.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/is-input-equals-output/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seriously! They will understand only when it happens to them .

      I will check it out. :) Thanks for reading :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts